I bought this SUPER cute 1960’s backless dress pattern on Etsy a few months ago. I already had the PERFECT fabric to make it with, a blue cotton floral with a it of stretch. It almost has a Hawaiian feel to it, doesn’t it?
This pattern definitely satisfied my sewing fix as it was very fast and easy to sew. I made no changes to the pattern (save the measurements…a size 10? I wish!), and I used two vintage pearly flat fisheye buttons at the back.
I really like this design because of the peek-a-boo back. It’s low, but not TOO low, so it’s perfect for concealing my “love handles”. I think it turned out great!
I don’t know about you but I ADORE wrap skirts. They are so easy to wear and can be created in an endless array of colors and (even normally avoided) prints. As of late, I have been hooked onto this sweet number 4287 by Butterick, circa 1969. It has extra long wraparound ties, two side pockets and a funky asymmetric hem!
This pattern is so quick and simple to whip up with only 4 pattern pieces. I only had to make a couple of minor adjustments to accommodate my non-size 8 body, but no other changes were necessary. I thought the pocket a cute feature as it doesn’t require a separate pattern piece, you just fold it back and stitch it to the skirt body!
I did one skirt up in a funky cotton tribal print, one in a lovely peacock print (wish I had more of this fabric), one in a retro circle print, and one in a poly satin stripe. I’m thinking next I might do a lightweight corduroy for Fall or cotton eyelet for summer.
The swimsuit however, being a size 8, is completely out of the question, so…
Like many of my fellow seamstresses, I regularly vow not to purchase any more fabric or patterns until I have used what’s already in my stash. That NEVER happens! As such, I came across this cute simplicity sundress pattern from 1969 and could not resist it. There are two different bodice styles and it can be created in a knee-length or evening length. It wraps around the back and ties at the front. Fortunately there are only four pattern pieces, so this was a breeze to whip up. So breezy, in fact that I made three versions of it!
Fortunately, no changes to the pattern or construction were necessary. However, if I make it again, and I probably will, I’ll cut the crossover bodice a little higher as it plunges just a bit low. I would also steer clear of medium weight fabrics and stick with lightweights as the gathers under the bustline add a bit of bulk.
I happily let the ethnic kente print version go as an acquaintance of mine was in search of a non-traditional dress she could wear for her wedding (awesome!), but the other two have dates with me one hot summer night in the near future (smile).