I bought this SUPER cute 1960’s backless dress pattern on Etsy a few months ago. I already had the PERFECT fabric to make it with, a blue cotton floral with a it of stretch. It almost has a Hawaiian feel to it, doesn’t it?
This pattern definitely satisfied my sewing fix as it was very fast and easy to sew. I made no changes to the pattern (save the measurements…a size 10? I wish!), and I used two vintage pearly flat fisheye buttons at the back.
I really like this design because of the peek-a-boo back. It’s low, but not TOO low, so it’s perfect for concealing my “love handles”. I think it turned out great!
One of my sewing goals for 2016 was to use up my fabric stash AND finally create some lovely things with the boxes of vintage patterns I’ve been hoarding. By coincidence, an acquaintance gave me this lovely floral rayon fabric that looks EXACTLY like the print used on the front of the Simplicity 1692 pattern envelope!
I was a bit hesitant to work on 1940’s pieces as they are not usually flattering for curvy girls right out of the envelope. I knew I’d have to make a few changes, but I think all in all it turned out pretty well.
I eliminated one set of back darts, added a bit of ease at the waist to make it a pullover style (no side zipper needed), and altered the cuffs to mimic the neck binding. I liked the cute little bows so I kept them at the sleeve hem.
I think I will definitely make this again, but next time I’ll alter the pattern to add more ease in the sleeves, change the bodice back to a button closure, and add a bit of length to the hem.
To celebrate the beginning of Spring (FINALLY) I am having a HUGE Etsy sale to make way for more inventory! Vintage fashion enthusiasts will receive 30% off any clothing, shoes or accessory purchase of $19.99 or more now through April 1, 2016.
Go ahead, shop Urban Stitches till you drop!
Coupon Code: INSTATHANKS30.
I actually made this dress for Pittsburgh Fashion Week last year but never got around to posting pics. However, here it is! The fabric is a medium weight atomic print woven cotton gifted to me about two years ago.
I really struggled about what to make with it but finally I decided on a mod 1960’s style dress. I love the look of petticoats so I added a strip of orange trim around the hem to fool the eye. I also added the V in the back, but otherwise followed the pattern exactly.
I really love the way it turned out and even found a little clear plastic purse to match at Goodwill! Judy Jetson would be proud! LOL
Greetings! Have you missed me? I’ve missed you, too! I’ve been SO busy over the last six months (moving to a new home, a new sewing studio and finally cleaning out my stash), that I have not had much time to post, but I am back in the sew of things now and very excited!
I’ve had Butterick 5152 in my vintage-inspired pattern box for quite a while and had intentions on making a dressing gown that was pretty enough to lounge around the house in when I was disinterested in wearing clothes. (Like, every Sunday afternoon!) But the red charmeuse in my stash was vying for my attention, so I changed my mind and went for an over-the-top gown with feathers and lace.
The pattern was not too tricky, save the yoke. It was awful! I LOATHE hand-sewing! The feather trim was also a nightmare as the feathers were already attached to a strip of ribbon, but apparently they were glued to the ribbon, so the glue ended up ruining three needles and made the stitches skip. Ugh! : >(
Otherwise, I ADORE this gown! While it is no good for lounging, it’s perfect for a romantic evening at home with a flute of bubbly!