Ahhh…Kwik Sew. Not exactly my favorite pattern manufacturer, but they DO have some really cute vintage ones that can be sewn up in a flash for impatients such as myself.
Number 1247 Misses Babydoll Nightgown: Views A and B have a scoop neckline gathered with elastic forming a sweet ruffle. Neckline, armholes and bottom edge are finished with lace. View A is knee length, View B is the shorter length gown with panties.
I thought this pattern was a bit challenging as the top ended up quite loose in the bust and the bottoms were WAY too tight. In my enthusiasm I cut and sewed up two sets (WHY did I do that?) To me they look more like maternity pajamas, but at least they conceal my wobbly bits. LOL
I probably won’t make this version again, but I am tempted to try my hand at the B version in a stretchy nylon. (With bigger bloomers of course!)
I bought this SUPER cute 1960’s backless dress pattern on Etsy a few months ago. I already had the PERFECT fabric to make it with, a blue cotton floral with a it of stretch. It almost has a Hawaiian feel to it, doesn’t it?
This pattern definitely satisfied my sewing fix as it was very fast and easy to sew. I made no changes to the pattern (save the measurements…a size 10? I wish!), and I used two vintage pearly flat fisheye buttons at the back.
I really like this design because of the peek-a-boo back. It’s low, but not TOO low, so it’s perfect for concealing my “love handles”. I think it turned out great!
One of my sewing goals for 2016 was to use up my fabric stash AND finally create some lovely things with the boxes of vintage patterns I’ve been hoarding. By coincidence, an acquaintance gave me this lovely floral rayon fabric that looks EXACTLY like the print used on the front of the Simplicity 1692 pattern envelope!
I was a bit hesitant to work on 1940’s pieces as they are not usually flattering for curvy girls right out of the envelope. I knew I’d have to make a few changes, but I think all in all it turned out pretty well.
I eliminated one set of back darts, added a bit of ease at the waist to make it a pullover style (no side zipper needed), and altered the cuffs to mimic the neck binding. I liked the cute little bows so I kept them at the sleeve hem.
I think I will definitely make this again, but next time I’ll alter the pattern to add more ease in the sleeves, change the bodice back to a button closure, and add a bit of length to the hem.
I’ve had vintage Simplicity 2127 in my stash for a while, but I was torn as to what fabric to make with it. Since my theme for Pittsburgh Fashion Week was hippie/mod/retro, I thought this blouse was perfect for the look I was going for. It’s actually a 1950’s pattern, but the style has withstood the test of time so it was perfect for my 1970’s themed outfit.
The top is see through lace fabric, off-the-shoulder style with elastic in the top, bottom and sleeves. The bottoms I created from a pair of Old Navy jeans that I cut off and added three rows of the same fabric gathered in graduated widths to make bell bottoms.
I think this look is SO cute! It’s a little bit funky and perfect for summer! I should have had my lovely model wear a flower garland in her hair, but didn’t think of it until it was too late. 😦
Here’s another vintage look I created for Pittsburgh Fashion Week. It’s also ‘Take II’ of vintage Simplicity 7441. This time I lengthened the pattern to make an ankle length caftan with deep side slits up to the waist and placed the facings on the outside instead of the inside for a cheery splash of color. The fabric is a lightweight linen-look ivory fabric with a colorful retro stripe cotton for the shorts and facings.
I LOVE how this set turned out and I think that my lovely model Melissa totally rocked it with hot pink sandals and bright bangles!
Yea! Spring is here! Ok, well the weather is still questionable, but I am glad to work on my “stash buster” projects while I wait for the sun. McCall’s 6079 is for a loose fitting pullover tunic top in either a square or triangular shape with stitched arm openings, peek-a-boo shoulders, and optional belt.
Admittedly, this pattern did not thrill me at first, but I have discovered that tunic tops can be VERY flattering and look great with slacks or skirts. They can also be sewn up quickly in a array of colors and prints.
I had in mind a jewel tone satin with a V neck and adding some beaded trim, but of course I am ever impatient, so I used a mustard colored rayon with an African mudprint design. (Sorry, but you can’t see the shoulder openings in the pics.) The cowrie shell belt seemed to compliment the fabric PERFECTLY! I hope you agree!
Were it not for my (ahem) “Problem Areas”, I would make this dress in EVERY conceivable print! I LOVE this pattern! It’s Butterick 4231 circa 1970’s. It’s SO simple to sew and is perfect for days that you’re short on time but still need to look awesome!
The dress only has two main pattern pieces, with no zips, darts, buttons, etc. Just tie it at the back of the neck, wrap it around your waist and tie at the front! The pattern shows a short and long version, but it would be easy to shorten it a bit more to make a wrap top and maybe pair it with a fitted tee.
I used a funky African wax print for my first try, but I cut it just a tad too small so I will be making another soon for Summer. Can’t wait!
I actually made this dress for Pittsburgh Fashion Week last year but never got around to posting pics. However, here it is! The fabric is a medium weight atomic print woven cotton gifted to me about two years ago.
I really struggled about what to make with it but finally I decided on a mod 1960’s style dress. I love the look of petticoats so I added a strip of orange trim around the hem to fool the eye. I also added the V in the back, but otherwise followed the pattern exactly.
I really love the way it turned out and even found a little clear plastic purse to match at Goodwill! Judy Jetson would be proud! LOL